Wednesday, April 15, 2009

National MS Society - Walk MS

This Sunday is another special landmark day in MS's life....the MS walk.

The first MS Walk that I participated in fell (coincidentally enough) on my first MSaversary. It's amazing to me to think how far I've come since then with the help of exercise and stretching. That first year, my family was excited that I was even able to walk a half-mile or so. My husband and daughter wanted to stop to play as often as possible but I know they were just trying to give me a chance to rest. This year, no one is questioning my ability to walk the whole 6 miles if I so choose. What a difference 2 years and some exercise can make!

The walk is something I and my loved ones look forward to each year. It's a fun rally event that the MS Society coordinates. The support from folks at the Nebraska Chapter of the National MS Society has been great. They've taken the time to answer a huge number of my questions and continually put forth great efforts to raise money for research. Their encouraging events like the wine walk in the fall, the bike ride, and this walk every spring really helps keep my (and I'm sure many other people's spirits up.)

Having this walk every year continually impresses me and my loved ones when we witness the generosity of the people here in Omaha. By the time all is said and done, almost $200,000 will be raised at this one event. All this during a recession. It's so heartwarming to know people care.

Thanks MS Society & thanks Omaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment