Thursday, April 2, 2009

Core


I had to laugh this morning when I thought about the gifts my husband gave me. Recently, I told my daughter that the best gifts are ones the recipient would use the most, gifts that would enhance the things that person loved. This year, my husband gave me a wall of mirrors for my gym area and a BOSU balance trainer. Yeah, working out is something I love.

In May of 2007 I joined the newest gym in town, Lifetime Fitness. My daughter and I joined for the pool and I hoped I might at some point, be brave enough to take some classes. It took me a while to work up the courage, but nearly two years from the day I joined I am proud to say I workout at least three times a week there. I can’t believe the classes I take or and the equipment I use. The BOSU is one of the pieces of equipment I never thought I’d be able to workout on. This funny shaped thing has one flat side and the other is 1/3 of a ball. The name means BOth Sides Up (www.bosu.com) because you use both sides in your training, that’s the idea at least.

At first I laughed at the thought of me standing on an unstable surface. At first I couldn’t, but after using this piece of equipment once a week or so for things like squats, jumps and sit ups (ya know, all things someone with MS has a hard time doing) I began to notice that I was drawing my strength from my core (which include the muscles from the ribs to the hips) and not my weak legs. We use the BOSU in my favorite Monday morning class, core. For me, this class is more than just getting a flat stomach, it’s about learning how to focus on my posture and use all my muscles for balance.

I’m still far from having prima ballerina poise and balance, but the more time I spend on my BOSU the less scared I am of stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment