Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summertime

It's 411 degrees outside. No, not really but couple the heat on a mid-June day here in Nebraska with the stifling humidity and that number sounds pretty accurate!

Ok, I really shouldn't complain. Yesterday and today are the first HOT days we've had here, God has blessed the area where we live with many days of below average temps! Each day that I awoke to window opening weather I said a little prayer of thanks, knowing that the summer day ahead would not be as bad as it could have been. MS hates the weather, especially the heat (which is a head scratcher because the vitamin D supplied by the sun (which is hot!) has such a positive effect for those with MS.)

So I've come to terms with this summer thing happening every year no matter where I live, so I'm forced to make the best of it. Summer is the time when most people gather outside for holidays and events and laugh in the face of sky high temps as they grab another brewsky, but that's just not do-able for me. This season makes me give up countless outdoor events with family and friends but like everything in the last 3 years of living with this, I've learned how to modify and deal so I don't have to be locked away laying in the prone position.

I avoid crowds whenever possible no matter the temperature but when those crowds are under a blistering sun, I quickly stop caring what band is playing or what team is winning in the CWS and focus only on the pain in my legs and my diminishing vision. So crowds are a no. That's it, that's the ways it is, oh well. I just can't say no and oh well to my kiddo when she asks me if we can go to the pool. Making her pay for this disease is so hard for me. So I've learned how to make trips to the pool ok. Very simply - I watch the weather, some days (mid to upper 90's) aren't ok but many days are because I belong to a graduated pool. Because it's so shallow, I can spend the whole time with the majority of my body in the water and I go inside for breaks with the air conditioning. I joke to my husband that every so often I need to "regain my hearts" like I'm playing a video game. When my heart satchel is full, after 10 min or so of resting in the cool, I'm ready for combat again.

There are also a few tools I've found. One is the mister my husband installed on our deck. I joke every time that I feel like produce when it's on and yes that's exactly what it is, a device that provides a small (we're able to regulate the flow of water) amount of mist when sitting under the spray nozzles. It's amazing how a small bit of water plus a breeze provides such great relief but doesn't provide a wet feeling like running through the sprinklers would. Another thing that makes sitting out on the deck possible are the roll up sun shades we installed (for $30 or so) that cut the heat quite a few degrees. The last tool I have for the summer is a neck wrap my mother in law got me a while ago. This clever tubular thing is filled with special crystals that expand when activated by water. The crystals turn into a gel that stays cool for days. Use it over and over again by simply reactivating it in normal tap water.They are sold at a few health and beauty websites and at QVC for about $16.00.

So bring it on summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment